Monday, May 10, 2010

Turkey Pesto Burgers


You guys, turkey is the best meat there is.

I know, it's kind of a weird argument to make, and I'm not 100% sure I'm really willing to back this up, but I'll be danged if turkey, this magical, lean, somewhat-crumbly, always-tasty meat hasn't become a favorite substitute in the Walker household.

Seriously, we're becoming one of those weird, cult-like families who cooks everything with venison or ostrich meat or something. Except it's turkey, and it's freaking excellent, yo.

I can't wait until you guys try this leaner, healthier version of a hamburger and tell me how awesome it is, and I'll be all, "yeah, I know, jerk. I eat turkey burgers all the time."

OK, that might be a harsh reaction, but that's what good food does to us, right? (DW)

I will admit, I generally don't like turkey burgers. I don't know why, but I like regular hamburgers so much better. That was, until I found this recipe. The pesto, garlic, onion, and cheese make this recipe. I serve these burgers with sautéed mushrooms and garlic fries on the side.

3 lbs ground turkey
3 slices of bread, crumbled
1 yellow onion (use can use shallots as well), minced
3 eggs
3/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
6 tablespoons pesto
3 cloves of garlic, minced

Mix all ingredients together until well combined. Form into patties. Grill or pan fry until juices run clear, and turkey burgers are cooked thoroughly.

*The recipe originally came from a freezer meal website, therefore it makes a lot of turkey burgers. I make the full recipe, and then freeze them to use later. If you don't want to make this many burgers, just reduce ingredients proportionately. (AW)

3 comments:

  1. Those look soooo good! I love Pesto and cheese. I think I'll try this but I have to substitute the egg with just egg whites. I'm allergic to egg yokes. I think it will still work.

    Thanks for the great recipe Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THREE POUNDS of ground turkey!? Good gravy! Sounds like you should have invited some friends over!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelley- You are too funny! This recipe came from a freezer meal recipe. I only use 1-1.25 lbs and cut everything else down by thirds. But I have made the entire batch a few times and I freezer the uncooked patties to use later

    ReplyDelete