Sunday, May 9, 2010

Homemade Chicken Stock


Over the last few months, I have begun to make my own chicken stock. All I keep thinking is “Why didn’t I try this sooner?” Homemade chicken stock taste amazing, is easy to make and freeze, and so much cheaper than buying it. Every time that I buy a rotisserie chicken from Costco, I make one or two dinners with the meat, and then I make about 18 cups of chicken stock to freeze. And the best part, the chicken only cost me $5.00!

15-20 cups of water
1 rotisserie chicken, with most of the meat removed
Handful of baby carrots or regular carrots, chopped
3-5 celery stocks (you can include the leaves)
1 large onion, chopped
2 tablespoons of Paula Deen’s House Seasoning (recipe below)

In a large stock pot, add your chicken (just throw the whole chicken in there, no need to remove the skin), carrots, celery and onion. Fill the pot with water until it is almost full. Add the house seasoning, and mix. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for 3-4 hours. The longer you let it cook, the more flavor you will have. Once cooked, remove from heat, and strain chicken stock through a colander to remove the chicken and vegetables. Cool the broth for a for a few hours before freezing. Store in freezer safe containers (I usually freeze with 4 cups of broth per container). (AW)

Paula Deen’s House Seasoning
1 cup salt
¼ cup black pepper
¼ cup garlic powder

Mix all ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment