Sunday, March 14, 2010

Glazed Carrots & Turnips



I mentioned last week that I had never tried turnips before. I found this recipe on the Food Network's website and thought I would try it because it sounded simple to make. It turned out pretty good. My only complaint was that my turnips got a little overcooked. Overall I like the flavor and simplicity of this side dish.


3/4 lbs of turnips, peeled and cut in 1-inch pieces
3/4 lbs carrots, peeled and cut in 1-inch pieces
2 teaspoons unsalted butter
1 teaspoon sugar
Salt & Pepper to season



Place vegetables in a skillet that is just large enough to hold them in a single layer. Add just enough water so that it comes halfway up the side of the vegetables. Add butter and sugar. Bring to a boil over high heat, and then reduce temperature to a simmer. Cover pan with a lid, left slightly ajar and simmer for about 8-10 minutes or until tender. Remove lid, turn heat up to high, and cook until all of the water has been absorbed, tossing vegetables frequently. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

P.S. Have you ever heard of rainbow carrots? I had never heard of them, until last week. They are so cool, they are yellow, orange, dark red, and white in color but taste like regular carrots. So, if you are wondering why my carrots are weird colors in the picture, that why! (AW)

No comments:

Post a Comment