Thursday, March 11, 2010

Korean Barbecued Beef



When Amy and I got married, it’s no understatement to say that we didn't have a lot of extra money.

We lived in an apartment complex. Our life there mainly consisted of lugging groceries up to our place on the second floor and trying to do laundry in the communal coin-op laundry room without punching people.

But oh, the food we ate. We had this George Foreman grill that we put out on our back patio, and we tried our best to cook as many meals out on that back patio as possible. We lived and ate a lot in that first year, and when the time came, we left; but, sometimes, I miss that Foreman grill, because you don’t know classy meat until you’ve cooked it on a grill named after an American two-time former World Heavyweight Boxing Champion, Olympic gold medalist, and successful entrepreneur.

The thing about this meal is: it’s incredibly easy to make. In fact, I would say the ratio of taste-to-effort is legendary. This is what I like about Amy’s cooking. She’ll make something absolutely phenomenal, and I’ll feel all guilty about the presumed hours she spent sieving flour or stir-frying kale or something, but then she’ll tell me how she made it, and I’m just flabbergasted.

So, here’s what you should do with this dish:

Pretend it was hard to make. It won’t be that hard. Your dinner guests will take that first bite, and instantly assume that you spent all day getting this one ready. Just don’t correct them. Let them believe what they want to believe. I’m thinking that, one day, Amy will wise up and start lying to me. (DW)

2lbs beef flank steak
1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/3 cup green onion, sliced
2 tablespoons asian sesame oil
3 tablespoons sugar
3 cloves garlic, minced

Rinse beef and pat dry. Cut steak at 45 degree angle across the grain. Mix the remaining ingredients in a bowl. Add beef to mixture and marinate for at least 30 minutes. Barbecue for 6-10 minutes.

I always serve this with brown rice and cooked green beans.

* This recipe was given to me by my sister & brother-in-law several years ago. (AW)

No comments:

Post a Comment