Monday, April 5, 2010

Fresh Homemade Salsa



I know what you’re asking. “Why in the world would you guys make your own salsa? Isn’t just as easy, if not easier, to buy your own? Do you have to make everything, you dumb hippies?”

Well, let me tell you, if canned/jarred salsa came out as vibrant and delicious as this fresh salsa recipe, I would buy it in a heart beat. But it doesn’t.

Our dear friend Nancy Johnson had the idea for this salsa, after eating the delicious salsa they serve at Casa Orozco and deciding she wanted to create the same thing at home. I would venture my opinion that this salsa is some of the best stuff I’ve ever tasted. Make a bunch of it today and see if you disagree. (DW)

I make two different types of salsa, one with canned tomatoes and one with fresh tomatoes. This is the recipe that I make using canned tomatoes. I usually make this salsa in the winter months, when we don’t have fresh tomatoes or jalapenos from our garden. Once summertime arrives, I will post my recipe for fresh tomato salsa, which is more like a pico de gallo.

1- 28 oz can diced tomatoes, with most of the liquid drained
1 handful of fresh parsley (about ¼ cup)
¼ yellow onion, chopped
1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
½ teaspoon Tabasco sauce
½ lime, juiced

Add the tomatoes, parsley and onion to food processor. Using the pulse button, quickly pulse the ingredients 5-7 times to blend all ingredients. (Try not to pulse too many times, otherwise you will end up with tomato soup instead of salsa!) Pour salsa out of food processor into a bowl.

Add the salt, Tabasco sauce, and lime juice to the salsa. Mix all ingredients thoroughly.

Refrigerate until cooled (at least 4 hours) to let all of the flavors develop. After the salsa has cooled, see if you need to add more salt (for flavor) or Tabasco sauce (for heat).

*This recipe was inspired by one of our favorite Mexican restaurants in town, and created by our good friend Nancy. (AW)

No comments:

Post a Comment