Thursday, April 22, 2010

Deluxe Chocolate Marshmallow Brownies



We’ve developed the technology to do it. We’ve argued the moral and philosophical viewpoints to death. Sometimes, we stay up at night, wrestling with the burden of how to accomplish something that seems so daunting, so...implausible.

I’m talking, of course, about how to make a better brownie.

You see, for years, brownies have been brownies. You know what you’re getting when you sink your sweet tooth into a brownie - moist, dense, rich. Sometimes, there are nuts. Not a lot, though - just enough to distract you momentarily from all that chocolate.

In fact, scratch that last part - quit putting nuts in brownies, I hate that.

So, anyways, I was just a bit skeptical when Amy told me she was making something called Deluxe Chocolate Marshmallow Brownies. I don’t know why I was skeptical, though. Amy’s batting average for dinners has been pretty flawless lately. It was only right that her version of a classic dessert dish would blow my mind.

But, I digress. Just try these brownies, OK? They’re a different kind of chewy than your average brownie - almost crispy, like you smuggled contraband Rice Krispies in there or something. Try them for your next party, and watch them disappear by the dishful. (DW)

I think the name says it all. These brownies are some of my favorites! They are rich, and oh so good. My good friend Kristen gave me this recipe, and it has been a favorite since. The original recipe made the brownies from scratch, but I always just use a box mix (I know, it's shocking!) and it makes this recipe a breeze.

1 brownie box mix (use what ever brand you like. I personally love Ghiradelli brownies from Costco)
4 cups mini marshmallows
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup smooth peanut butter
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup Rice Krispie cereal



Cook brownies in a 13x9" pan, according to the direction on the package. Once brownies are cooked, take them out of the oven, and while they are still hot, spread the marshmallows evenly on top of them. Put the brownies back in the oven for 2-3 minutes, just until the marshmallows melt. Spread the melted marshmallows over the brownies, and let cool.



After the brownies are cool, prepare the top layer by placing the chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter in a glass bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds, or until melted. Stir until smooth. Add rice krispies and mix throughly. Spread over the marshmallow layer, and let cool completely. Cut into squares and enjoy! (AW)

3 comments:

  1. OH MAN!! These look delicious I may have to try them out tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are the best! And of course, yours always come out perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy and Derek - The brownies were a hit! I made them for Jack to take to his students to munch on during their AP review session tonight - he said they loved them and the tray came home empty! These are delicious! p.s. I LOVE the blog - fun, useful and entertaining - great job! xo, Mary

    ReplyDelete