Sunday, April 11, 2010

Baked Chimichangas



I don't think I've ever been one for authentic, honest-to-God Mexican food. You see, I like it fake. I like burritos and taquitos and enchiladas. When people try and get me to eat authentic, I like it, but i always find my ADHD-infected mind wandering to thoughts of Taco Bell. (This may be a sickness, yes; but, it's MY sickness.)

So, Amy put this before me - not the most authentic dish, but one I hadn't ever paid much mind to. One that used cabbage, of all things - an ingredient I've never been wild about, but one that played a starring role in a tasty, thoughtful dish. And you know what? It felt authentic to me.

This meal, for me, is all about texture. Let these little wonders bake an extra minute or two in the oven - you want that crispy crunch, trust me. These chimichangas were hearty, above all else - after eating two, I felt like I could wrestle a bull, or something like that.

For added effects, we listened to Sketches of Spain by Miles Davis while we ate. OK, we didn't, but now I kind of wish we would've. They were that good. (DW)

2 cups shredded cabbage
1 can pinto or black beans
1 cup salsa
2 chicken breast, cooked and cubed or shredded
Olives
Green onions
Monterey Jack cheese
Flour tortillas

Mix all ingredients (except tortillas) together in a bowl. Wrap filling in tortillas so all ends are closed. Place in a 13X9" glass pan. Bake for 15 -20 minutes in oven @ 350 degrees.

Serve with sour cream and salsa over the top.

This recipe is courtesy of my Aunt Rhonda and my cousin Crystal. (AW)

No comments:

Post a Comment