Saturday, April 17, 2010

Hawaiian Chicken Salad Sandwiches


I have this thing about messing with classic recipes. My thing is this: don't do it. Comfort food is called that because it doesn't change - it's always there, in the exact form you had it last time, and the time before, etc. Not everything has to be adventurous, so thank you, California Pizza Kitchen, but I'm fine without peanut sauce or avocado on my pizza.

But every once in a while, Amy will lovingly challenge my need for rigid ingredient guidelines with something like this chicken salad, and it blows my face off, because I wasn't expecting it to be, well, good.

At this point in my marriage, you'd think I'd just expect some things from her cooking.

One more note - I'm very particular about how I make chicken salad sandwiches, and I won't apologize for it. I like my bread lightly toasted. I want tons of lettuce. And I want, no, need, DELI MUSTARD. I know what you're thinking - "how does your need for deli mustard interact with the pineapple in the salad?" Well, it interacts beautifully, thanks for asking.

So, I was adventurous, almost by accident, and I walked away with a new favorite sandwich. I am a champion at eating food. (DW)

My Aunt Rhonda made this chicken salad for my sister's Hawaiian themed wedding shower several years ago. Since then, it has been a favorite lunch of mine. I like the sweetness of the pineapple and the crunch the celery and macadamia nuts add to the chicken salad. I don't have any measurements for this recipe, so just add the amounts that you like of each ingredient.

Chicken breast, cooked and shredded (I usually use Costco's rotisserie chicken, but you can use canned chicken as well)
Mayonnaise
Celery, chopped
Crushed pineapple, with juice reserved
Chopped macadamia nuts
Salt & pepper, to taste

Mix chicken, mayonnaise, celery, pineapple, a little bit of the pineapple juice, and macadamia nuts in a bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve on toasted sourdough bread or a croissant. (AW)

4 comments:

  1. Mmm. That looks so yummy. Aloha!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to make a suggestion: what about serving on toasted Hawaiian sweet bread... no?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet it would be good on Hawaiian sweet bread. Maybe I will have to give it a try next time!

    ReplyDelete